Bikini season is right. Around. The corner. It is so close you can taste it. Summer days full of sunshine, warm breezes, salty hair, sandy toes, and bikinis...all of this is quickly approaching.
I would venture to guess that every girl feels at least a small pang of panic when thinking about donning a bikini for the first time after a long winter. The quest for the perfect "bikini body" and the best slimming and toning secrets begins. So much stress and anxiety goes into trying to ease our fear of wearing a bikini and baring so much for the world to see.
Well, I am not here to talk about a new workout, diet, or treatment that will get you that "perfect" bikini body. Rather, I am here to tell you that the very BEST way to feel comfortable in a bikini is to learn to LOVE yourself and your body, and to embrace your inner confidence! You - yes, YOU, are perfect just the way you are. If you want to wear a bikini, then you should, and you should wear it with confidence. Because, you see, there is no "bikini body". There are just bodies. Many, beautiful, unique, different bodies.
Luckily, society is starting to catch on to the fact that every woman is built differently, and every body is beautiful. So, I'm here to say that if you want to spend a fun day in the sunshine, swimming and playing and lying on the beach, all while rocking a bikini - or ANY type of bathing suit for that matter - then DO it! And do it with confidence! You deserve to let loose and feel comfortable.
Here are a few quick tips on how to feel your very most comfortable in a bikini:
1. Do not compare yourself to others. Each of us is different. We each have different body types, different skin tones, different shapes, different curves... Different everything. And that's beautiful. You just focus on being the BEST you, and on being confident about who you are and what your body looks like. You are gorgeous and worthy of fun, carefree beach days! It's SO easy to make comparisons. But trust me. Comparison is the surest and fastest way to dissatisfaction and discontent. Avoid it.
2. Remember that you are your own worst critic. You notice flaws on your own body more than anyone else does. Don't be so hard on yourself! There are SO many amazing things about you that you can focus on instead! When you focus on what you love about yourself and about your body, your inner confidence will shine through. Which brings me to number 3...
3. Head high, shoulders back! Rock that bathing suit with confidence! Confidence is the most beautiful thing. Smile, be kind, and be confident in the fact that you are strong, beautiful, and totally worthy of wearing that suit and of having a fun day in the sun!
4. Ignore the meanies. If for some reason someone makes a mean comment on Instagram about your bikini picture that you posted, or someone gives you a rude look at the beach, make a conscious decision to shake it off and let it go. Realize that people put other people down because they feel badly about themselves. Don't let other peoples' opinions have a negative impact on you. If you feel good in that little bikini, then rock it unapologetically with confidence! And have FUN!
5. Build others up. One thing I have learned is that the more I build other women up and compliment them and treat them with kindness, the better and more confident I feel about myself! AND, the nicer they are to me! You get what you put out, and if you dish out genuine kindness, love, and encouragement, you will receive the same back. Nothing feels nicer than a heart-felt compliment.
Wearing a swim suit is about feeling comfortable and about being able to enjoy a sunny day, splashing in a lake, river, pool, or the ocean! It's not about a competition, or about striving for "perfection", or about working towards some ideal body type. So embrace yourself and your body! Don't be afraid of swimsuit season! Put on that bikini and dive right in and have the time of your life!