We hear SO much about morning rituals and how important what you do each morning is for setting the pace for the rest of your day. Well, I’ve certainly found this to be true. On mornings when I am lagging and get a late start, I typically end up having a much less productive day. Undoubtedly, everyone is different and everyone has different schedules due to work and children and other obligations. I work from home as a freelance writer and blogger, so it would be pretty easy for me to stay in bed until noon and lounge around in my PJs all day watching Netflix. Bottom line, I have found a morning routine to be crucial to my productivity.
I set my own schedule, and if I don’t have some self-imposed structure, my day can go from productive to lazy in a matter of minutes. Those first two hours in the morning are SO vital to how the rest of my day is going to go. Here are some things that I do every morning to ensure that I have as productive a day as possible!
- Set an alarm and don’t snooze. The key here is the DON’T SNOOZE part. And trust me, I know how hard this can be. I am a world-class snoozer. Give me just five more minutes of sleep and I’m a happy happy girl! BUT, I’ve found that for me, if I just get right up and dive into my day, I have a much more productive day than I do when I snooze and take forever to drag myself out from under the covers. So, my advice to you is to try getting up the first time your alarm goes off! Having hot coffee or tea waiting for you when you get up helps a lot, as does knowing that there is a yummy breakfast in your future!
- Eat a nice breakfast. Planning ahead and having tasty and healthy breakfast options (check out these healthy Protein Donuts!) on hand is SO crucial in ensuring that your day gets off to a great start! A satisfying breakfast will leave you ready to take on whatever comes next. And knowing that you are nourishing your body with healthy food is ALWAYS a great feeling.
- Meditate. I meditate every morning after breakfast. It is such a great way to get centered and ready for whatever the day may hold! I love guided meditations, such as the Oprah and Deepak ones. Their ‘Grace’ series is my go-to.
- Plan. After meditating, I open up my Day Designer and plan out my day. I make sure to write down everything that I want to get done that day, and I pull out my top three “To-Dos”. These are the three things that no matter what, I HAVE to get done that day. They are my first priority, and the rest of the things that I want to get done come after those three things are done. Planning out my day helps me to stay on track and stay focused.
- Get moving! Another thing that I do every morning is to get moving! One way or another, I get some exercise in first thing! Whether it’s a long walk with my dog, or a HIIT workout, it doesn’t matter. As long as I get my heart rate up a bit and get some good air in my lungs and my heart pumping. Getting some exercise in first thing in the morning, even if it is just for 10 minutes, ALWAYS puts me in a better mood and gives me a burst of energy that sticks with me.
I would love to hear about what YOU do in the morning to help get your day off to a great start! Share below in the comments!