It's cold and flu season. Yuck! I get sore throats A LOT - always have. My colds always end up in my throat and it is the worst! Cough drops and Dayquil can be life savers, however I really like to treat my colds with more natural methods when possible.
Here are a few foods that you can find right in your kitchen that will help you to combat even the nastiest of colds!
1. Lemon. Squirt some lemon juice in your tea, or add it to a glass of lukewarm water. Lemon juice helps to decrease phlegm, and lemons are LOADED with vitamin C. Lemon also has antibacterial properties, which is great news for me because it helps to fight throat infections!
2. Honey. Honey helps to kill bacterial cells, so it is great to add into hot tea (with a squirt of lemon juice? Yes, please!). It helps to soothe irritated throats, and it boosts the immune system. This helps to reduce the severity of colds, and can EVEN help to prevent future colds and viruses!
3. Cinnamon. Ok, ready for a fun tidbit? Cinnamon is a POTENT antioxidant! It's also a superfood. Add a sprinkle of cinnamon to your hot tea with honey for a nice throat soothing, cold-busting drink.
4. Garlic. This cold-fighting food contains allicins, which are sulfur-containing compounds, as well as other elements that help to reduce the viral-load. You can make garlic tea, eat raw garlic cloves, or cook garlic in with other foods.
5. Turmeric. Turmeric is a tasty, orangey-yellow spice that has strong anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties. Turmeric tea can help with headaches, colds, sore throats, and congestion. You can also mix turmeric and honey to help combat a cough.
What are your tips for fighting a cold naturally??