Sleep hasn't been something that I have been getting much of lately. Being pregnant makes getting a good night's rest a tad bit difficult. I miss being able to get a full night of sleep and waking up feeling fully rested and refreshed! Although, I know that this is good preparation for when my baby comes, since I probably wont be getting much sleep then anyways. :)
Needless to say, I've been doing a lot of thinking about sleep lately! More and more we are hearing about how IMPORTANT sleep is for our bodies and minds. I mean, you've probably heard of Arianna Huffington's new book, 'The Sleep Revolution', right? This book gets ALL into the importance of sufficient rest and ways to achieve it. Getting enough good quality rest is pretty much a non-negotiable for our health. Not getting enough sleep leads to dark circles, dull skin, crankiness, a decrease in proper brain function, and a weakened immune system. Not good!
I've put a lot of research and thought into sleep and ways to get as much of it as possible, especially when one is struggling with it like I am. Here are some beauty sleep essentials that I've rounded up based on what my searching has turned up, and on what has worked for me!
1. Lavender Essential Oil. Lavender is highly regarded for it's relaxing effects on the body. It helps to de-stress you and calm you down. I love dabbing a bit on the insides of my wrists at bed time.
*Scroll through the above gallery and click on a picture for more details on each piece!
2. Comfy Pajamas. Feeling comfortable is SO important when it comes to being able to doze off into a peaceful slumber! Above are some pajamas that I am lusting after! Click on each picture above for more info. on each piece. Finding the perfect sleepwear can make a world of a difference. I have a set of satin PJs from Victoria's Secret (no longer available) that are just the comfiest things in the world and I sleep so well in them!! Seriously, comfy pajamas are a game changer. Invest in some right away!
3. Eye Mask. A nice, soft eye mask can make such a difference. It blocks out any light that might be messing with your ability to snooze. Plus, there is something so luxurious about a nice eye mask, don't you think?
4. Silk Pillowcase. Silk pillowcases are supposed to be so much better for your skin. Regular pillowcases can tug skin and leave weird creases in your face. A silk one will keep your skin smooth and will glide over your face as you move around in the night. Plus, again, so luxurious and soft! A silk pillowcase is just setting yourself up for a beautiful night's rest. This one matches the eye mask above, which is super cute too. When things match and look pretty together it puts me at ease and I'm better able to relax. Anyone else??
5. Tea. A nice cup of warm tea always helps me to unwind and puts me in the mood for bedtime.
Here are a few other tips for setting yourself up for a night of beauty sleep:
+Meditate: Spend 10 minutes meditating, focusing on your breath and on all of the beautiful things in your life that you are thankful for.
+Read: Try putting your electronics away as soon as you hop into bed. Better yet, keep them in a different room andmake your bedroom an electronics free zone. Ben and I are giving this a try now that we've moved into our new house. It's hard, I'm not going to lie, but it's so nice to be able to disconnect from social media and e-mails and screens. Instead of scrolling through Instagram, read a few pages from a book instead! E-readers don't count. No screens. Pick up a good old-fashioned book at bedtime.
+Take a warm bath: A bath at bedtime can be so relaxing and soothing. Throw in some bath salts and essential oils (lavender!), and light some candles. Then, feel yourself relax and decompress from your day. After a good soak, you'll be ready to drift off into a restful sleep.
What are your go-to tips for getting a good night's sleep?? Please share your beauty rest tips and tricks with me below!