As any new parent can attest, getting out of the house -without the kids- for a date with your significant other can be hard! Not only can it be difficult logistically, what with securing child care, etc... but it can be very difficult emotionally as well.
Since James has been born, Ben and I have gone out on a few date days. We have done date days rather than nights because we like to be home for James' bed time routine. Although my mom is learning the bedtime routine so we'll be able to get out for a date night here soon! We're fortunate to live by family now that we live in Washington again, so we always have someone to watch James for us. But honestly, what we've found to be a more realistic and, in some ways, more enjoyable option as far as a date goes is at home date nights!
At home date nights are dates that can be enjoyed right from the comfort of your own home after your little ones have gone to bed. Ben and I have these AAAALLL the time! It's such a great way to get in quality time together sans children and to be able to reconnect and have fun just the two of you.
I love being able to spend time really focusing on Ben and having conversations and doing fun things, all while knowing that our baby boy is safe upstairs. Don't get me wrong, going OUT for a date is FUN and I really really enjoy Ben's and my dates! But I also like the option of being able to do a date spur of the moment, all while being close by James if he needs us.
Here are a few fun at home date night ideas:
- Cook dinner together.
- Watch a movie.
- Sit by the fire and chat.
- Play board games.
- Read together.
- Do a puzzle.
- Plan a trip together.
- Have your own beer (or wine, or whiskey) tasting - try all different kinds.
- Make a fun, new appetizer.
- Listen to new music.
- Dance - around the kitchen, by the fire, wherever.
- Light candles.
- Make a blanket fort.
- Watch the sunset together.
- Do at-home yoga together.
- Paint together.
- Have an ice cream night.
- Karaoke - pull up songs on YouTube and take turns singing (not TOO loudly, if you have sleeping kids ;))
- Give each other massages.
- Lay out a blanket and watch the stars.
- Take a bath together.
- Shop for houses online together.